History

Sibley Medical Center with locations in Arlington, Gaylord, Winthrop and Henderson, is a not-for-profit, 20 bed, critical access facility recognized for meeting the highest health care standards. Sibley Medical Center is the area’s premier choice in health care, with a strong commitment to growth and innovation, SMC has continued to expand through the years.

Some of the highlights of the growth SMC has experienced over the years include:

  • March 1945 – City Council Special meeting to discuss idea of building a hospital.
  • October 1945 – Herman C. Noack donates the $1,500 to purchase the 10 acres from a reluctant Louis Hillemann on which the hospital is to be built.
  • January 1948 – Hospital opens with Mrs. Nora Evans as Administrator. Total cost of construction is $126,000.
  • March 1948 – First hospital board appointed. The first board consisted of Herman Noack, A.W. Luff, Louis Kill, Herman Kamps and John Luff.
  • September 1957 – Arlington Hospital Auxiliary is organized.
  • July 1964 – Dr. John Vener joins the staff at the Arlington Clinic.
  • October 1967 – $600,000 hospital remodeling bond issue approved 477-102 by Arlington voters.
  • December 1969 – Hospital addition is completed.
  • January 1971 – Dr. Dean Bergersen joins the staff at the Arlington Clinic.
  • January 1977 – Management contract signed with Immanuel St. Joseph’s Hospital. The Mankato hospital will supply an administrator, but decisions about the hospital will be made locally.
  • June 1977 – Hospital becomes charter member of Corresponding Health Care Associates, which later becomes InterCare, the first regional hospital system of Voluntary Hospitals of America (VHA).
  • VHA is now the largest voluntary hospital system in the United States.
  • August 1977 – Remote cardiac monitoring system installed at hospital. Hospital is first remote cardiac monitoring site in Minnesota.
  • February 1979 – Arlington Hospital is one of the first small rural hospitals to purchase a fetal heart monitor.
  • May 1983 – Hospital Foundation Board is organized.
  • July 1984 – Hospital receives accreditation from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals. Arlington Hospital is the only hospital located in Sibley, LeSueur and Nicollet counties that is accredited by the Joint Commission.
  • September 1985 – Emergency helicopter service is now available in Arlington.
  • April 1986 – Hospice program started at hospital.
  • March 1987 – Major remodeling project including the relocation of the physical therapy department is completed.
  • June 1987 – Hospital offers health information and physician referral service called Medformation in conjunction with Abbott-Northwestern Hospital.
  • 1987 – Hospital becomes accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations.
  • March 1994 – An Adult Day Health Center program begins to provide services.
  • July 1991 – Last (planned) birth at Arlington Hospital.
  • June 1994 – Barb Clemens joins our staff.
  • June 1994 – Hospital establishes a cancer lending library which is always open for public use.
  • 1994 – Hospital purchases mammography equipment.
  • 1994 – Hospital begins a Home Health Care program.
  • 1996 – Hospital downsized from 32 beds to 20 beds.
  • 1996 – Arlington Municipal Hospital receives notification that the Rural Utilities Services grant application is approved in the amount of $203,000 for Telemedicine. AMH was on of 29 applicants selected nationally.
  • 1997 – Hospital Board approves a management/consulting contract with the Allina Health System.
  • 1998 – Hospital became operating contractor for Trailblazer Community Transit, a county wide public transportation system.
  • 1999 – Hospital becomes a Critical Access Hospital.
  • August 2000 – Arlington Municipal Hospital and Arlington, Gaylord and Winthrop clinics integrate. The clinics are the first to carry our new name and become Sibley Medical Clinics.
  • September 2000 – Dr. Scheid joins our staff.
  • January 2001 – Arlington Municipal Hospital becomes Sibley Medical Center.
  • May 2001 – “Project Healthcare: Building Our Future” kicks off!
  • October 2001 – Arlington voters overwhelmingly (449 – 53) support hospital renovation project.
  • May 2002 – Groundbreaking ceremony for renovation project.
  • October 2002 – New ER is completed!
  • March 2003 – The renovated Sibley Medical Center & Clinic open!
  • April 2003 – SMC&C Foundation funded expansion and renovation of hospital nurse’s station is completed.
  • June 2003 – Sibley Medical Center & Clinic has Open House to show off the newly renovated and expanded facility – over 600 residents attended!
  • July 2003 – Dr. Chekerdjiev joins our staff.
  • November 2003 – Plans are set in motion to build a new clinic in Gaylord.
  • July 2004 – Laura Madson, PA-C joins our staff.
  • July 2004 – Received $94,000 grant through Rural Hospital Capital Improvement, which was used to purchase a new Ultra Sound machine.
  • September 2004 – Ground breaking ceremony held for new Gaylord Clinic.
  • November 2004 – Sibley Medical Center & Clinics Home Health Care receives Home Health Quality Achievement Award for superior performance from Stratis Health.
  • March 2005 – New Gaylord Clinic opens!
  • March 2005 – Sibley Medical Center & Clinics Board approves lease agreement and renovation plans for a clinic in Henderson.
  • July 2005 – Amy Anderson, PA-C joins our staff.
  • August 2005 – Dr. Surjit Reddy Moolamalla joins our staff.
  • September 2005 – New Henderson Clinic opens!
  • August 2006 – ADHC Closes
  • May 2007 – Cheryl Lindgren, Nurse Practitioner joins our staff.
  • July 2007 – Dr. Ehtaisham Mohammed joins our staff.
  • July 2007 – New laundry rooms were completed on first floor.
  • October 2007 – Management agreement began with Ridgeview Medical Center.
  • January 2008 – Board retreat was held addressing need and strategic planning.
  • January 2008 – New 16 slice CT scanner installed.
  • April 2008 – Catherine Phillips joins our staff.
  • July 2008 – Purchased the Arlington Clinic Building from Dr Bergersen and Dr. Vener.
  • August 2008 – Dr. Sierra joins our staff.
  • October 2008 – Joint venture began for ambulance coverage with the City of Arlington.
  • October 2008 – Master Facility Plan presented to the Hospital Board of Directors.
  • November 2008 – Dr. Muhamed Durakovic joins our staff.
  • July 2009 – Construction begins on the installation of the new HVAC system, rehabilitation area and administrative offices on the third floor.
  • July 2009 – Trauma Level 4 designation received from the State of Minnesota.
  • September 2009 – $50,000 grant awarded for Electronic Medical Record implementation from the State Planning and Transition Program.
  • October 2009 – The new rehabilitation center located on the 1st floor opens for patients.
  • January 2010 – New administrative offices on 3rd floor occupied.
  • January 2010 – Began the first phase of Electronic Medical Records implementation.
  • • June 2010 – Completed the final phase of Electronic Medical Records implementation.